Thursday, January 20, 2011

Games Currently Played


What games am I currently playing? Well there's three big ones:
  1. World of Warcraft
  2. Starcraft 2
  3. Mass Effect 2
World of Warcraft is six years old, and there's been a major overhaul in the core content and mechanics of the game through its latest expansion in Cataclysm. Why do I play? Well besides it being the standard bearer and metric for all other MMO (massive multiplayer online) games, my siblings are deeply entrenched in the game. Both my brother and sister have multiple high level characters. I'm actually the casual player of the group.

I have been heavily playing Starcraft 2 since it was released last summer. This game has got me hooked and it's easy to understand why. Starcraft is such a phenomenal game property, that Korea has adopted it as a national sport. Blizzard is well known for their excellent caliber in developing top tier video games, and Starcraft 2 is no exception. I have been struggling for the past few months in learning the multiplayer component of the game and it's competitive ladder matches. I have been hovering around the high platinum league and cannot break into diamond for the life of me. What's also interesting, is the underlying thematic elements present in the campaign and playable racial factions. But that's something I will get into in another post.

Mass Effect 2 is just epic in terms of its scale, ambition, and narrative. It's in contention for best game of 2010 by multiple game review publications. The series has been hailed as the Star Wars of our generation. It's developed by Bioware, which is another high status video game developer known for their excellent catalog of video game titles. I'm slowly going through the story, relishing in the rich backstory and ambience of a well made space opera. It is gripping.

No comments:

Post a Comment